This sign no longer exists.
About Granite Geek
Dave Brooks has written a science/tech column since 1991 – yes, that long – and has written this blog since 2006, keeping an eye on topics of geekish interest in and around New Hampshire, from software to sea level rise, population dynamics to printing (3-D, of course). He moderates monthly Science Cafe NH discussions, beer in hand, and discusses the geek world regularly on WGIR-AM radio..
Brooks earned a bachelor’s degree in mathematics but got lost on the way to the Ivory Tower and ended up in a newsroom. He has reported for newspapers from Tennessee to New England. Rummage through his bag of awards you’ll find oddities like three Best Blog prizes from the New Hampshire Press Association and a Writer of the Year award from the N.H. Farm and Forest Bureau, of all places. He joined the Concord Monitor in 2015.
- Efforts to return the chestnut to our forests continues a slow (oh, so slow!) advance
- If we create a blight-resistant chestnut tree, can birds spread it for us?
- Love J.R.R. Tolkien? You can now get a graduate degree in his work
- Ice, eels, bubbles – the perils of hydropower plants
- N.H. gets an unwanted first: Our first official plant extinction